top of page
  • Gayle Barton


For this, I went googling "what is a Gargoyle?". The one I picked is the "thinker" on Notre Dame cathedral. A Gargoyle is an architectural form, and specifically Gothic architecture, a gargoyle is a carved or formed grotesque. Their use is a water spout. Designed to convey water from a roof to the ground but some are just ornamental. They were believed in mythology these creatures on the roof tops of churches were to ward off the devil and demons.

I learned a new word. hunky punk is a grotesque carving on the side of a building, especially in Late Gothic churches. The origin of the term hunky punk has been ascribed to the words hunkers (meaning 'hunches') and punchy ('short-legged'). These are not water spouts.

4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All




bottom of page